Friday, September 3, 2010

Epiphany!

Hi folks.  I absolutely promise you that I will be writing more and more about fitness and nutrition.  However, there are things that are way more important in the long run, and they totally relate to fitness and health programs, because they have everything to do with COMMITTING to things like exercise and eating plans.

I had sort of an epiphany today.  May not seem like much to most people, but it's big for me right now, at this time in my life.  I suddenly realized I am a "crammer."  In school, I "crammed" for tests.  In my piano lessons I "crammed" three hours of practice into the day before my lesson.  If I missed a workout I've been known to do a double or triple workout, or do something for four hours.  If I eat poorly, I might fast the next day.  If I did poorly in a semester of school, I'd sign up for 21 hours the next semester.  Does any of this sound like a good idea to you??  Right!!  It does not work!!!!  I have been told the correct thing to do for 30 years, but never really followed it.  I'm not 100% sure I'll follow it now, because it only just struck me as INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!!!  My poor piano teacher, God rest his poor depressed soul, told me that even FIVE minutes a day would be better than five HOURS the day before my lesson.  How can that possibly be???  You have to make up for all that lost time, don't you???

Well, the answer, much to my very sad realization, is NO!  You cannot make up all of that lost daily consistent time by cramming it all into one big session.  You might "score" in the short term with a good grade on a test or one good performance at a piano recital, but in the long run, you would be WAY better off by taking what I now call the "Slow-Fast" approach.  Seemingly insignificant, consistent, daily actions are way way way more valuable to improving your life than short, massive bursts of effort.  I implore you to look at the previous posts here and take them to heart.  You have to set goals, and you have to make daily choices that support those goals.  And most importantly, you simply MUST take consistent daily actions towards those goals, whether they be health and fitness related, financial planning, career, personal development, educational, etc.

Please, if you are a "crammer" like I have been, I beg you to work on taking a different approach to life.  Instead of trying to "make up for lost time" by cramming in crazy, unrealistic activity plans, simply start where you are right now, set very small DAILY consistent and achieveable goals and plug away.  In the long run, like the tortoise and the hare, you will win the day.  Today is a day of epiphany for me!!  I'll keep you posted about how well I use this new awareness!!!

Peace and Joy and Slllllooooooowwwwwww consistent blessings to you my friends!!  Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment